What We Believe
What Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church teaches and believes.
1) The Bible is the Word of God, written by men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. For this reason, the Bible contains no errors and is the flawless guide for everything we teach, believe and do.
2) There is only one true God, the Triune God. This one God consists of three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3) God created the world and everything in it out of nothing in six, twenty-four hour days, by the power of his almighty Word. We reject the theory of evolution as an explanation of man’s origin.
4) God created human beings as holy, sinless people. Mankind lost this perfect condition when Adam and Eve, our first parents, yielded to Satan’s temptation and fell into sin.
5) Because of Adam and Eve’s fall into sin, every human being inherits the guilt and corruption of sin from their parents and is a sinner by birth. That is why by their very nature people are unable to love God as they should, and cannot please God with their deeds. Every person frequently breaks God’s law by his thoughts, words and actions and, as a result, deserves eternal damnation.
6) Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, equal to the Father in every way. He is also true man, born of the virgin Mary.
7) Jesus is our substitute who came into the world to keep God’s law perfectly in our place. When Jesus died on the cross, he paid the full price for the sins of the entire world.
8) Those who have faith in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior from sin, have also complete pardon for all their sins and become children of God through faith. Because they are now God’s children, they will inherit eternal life in heaven.
9) No person can come to faith by himself. It is the Holy Spirit who creates faith in the individual through the preaching of the gospel—the good news about Jesus Christ and his work of salvation. Faith, therefore, is a gift of God for which no person can claim credit. However, the person who does not believe that Jesus is their personal Savior is at fault for his own unbelief.
10) The Holy Spirit is also the one who creates in us the ability and gives us the desire to lead a new and changed life that devotes itself to serving God and our fellow human beings.
11) Through baptism, the Holy Spirit works faith in our hearts and gives us the forgiveness of sins. In baptism he also gives these gifts to infants.
12) Everyone who takes Lord’s Supper also receives the true body and blood of Christ in, with and under the bread and wine. Those who take Lord’s Supper, trusting in the promises of God, receive the comfort and assurance that their sins are forgiven.
13) The true Church is made up of all who believe that Jesus Christ is their Savior from sin.
14) Jesus Christ will return visibly, in glory, to judge the world. All the dead will then rise bodily to appear before the judgment of God. Those who did not believe in Jesus will be condemned to eternity in hell because of their unbelief. Those who did believe in Jesus will be with God in heaven forever, because their sins have been washed away by the blood of Jesus Christ.